Re: [Mgs] retorque

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>, "Ed Woods"
Subject: Re: [Mgs] retorque
From: "riverside" <riverside@southslope.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:37:50 -0500
There is some variety of opinion about this retorqueing business.

my $.02:    I believe the engine should be allowed to cool to near room
                 temperature before retorque.  Loosen nuts one at a time
only
                 enough to overcome the initial friction.  Retourque to
within
                 20 lbs of finishing torque.   when all nuts are at this
point,
                 finish the march to finishing torque in rounds of 5 lbs.
                 Don't use aluminum paint as a sealant.   I like Gaskacinch
                 and KW Coppercoat as sealants on those gaskets requiring
                 sealant.   Multiple coats of these work pretty well on
those
                 pesky manifold gaskets that have all the little divots.
                 I don't know how to seperate my science from my voodoo,
                 so i won't try.      Good Luck!

                 riverside