Re: [Mgs] OIL

To: Paul Osborne <paul@ece.rochester.edu>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] OIL
From: Paul Root <ptrmgb@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 10:38:24 -0500
The NAPA oil is just Valvoline. I use it's High Milage formula too, or regular
Valvoline if it's on sale.

And if I only drove my car 500 miles a year, I'd sell it. I was upset that I
only got 2000 last year. And this year, the car sat idle when I was too busy
to work on it.

I'm sitting at 12x,xxx miles now. I bought it at 84,xxx, 9 years ago. It may
not be pretty, but the engine hums.

On Aug 28, 2010, at 9:54 AM, Paul Osborne wrote:

> I'm with Barney,  why all of these exotic oils and lube mixes??? Have been
using NAPA 20-50 too and with 100,000   +    and in 2 cars ,  regular changes
all is just fine.  Guess there is a need to spend $$  .
> paul
>

>> Chuckle.  Something wrong with "the average LBC"?  My MGA fairly often does
500 miles in a single day.  385,000 miles and counting. So far I do not worry
about ZDDP, except during a new cam break in period.  I run NAPA 20W50 in
summer and 10W40 in winter.  Current engine has 75,000 miles, going strong,
never had the bottom end apart.

>> Barney Gaylord
>> 1958 MGA with an attitude
>> http://MGAguru.com
>>

>> At 11:23 PM 8/27/2010 -0500, "Ron  S" (<iverside> wrote:
>>> The street version does not contain zddp. VR-1 does contain zddp and  is
labeled for off-road use only but does not contain the high milage additives
of the street version.  It is meant to be changed after every race, or about
every five hundred or so miles. This is about the milage the average LBC
`weekend tourer' does in a driving season in a moderate climate area.