Re: [Mgs] EXTERNAL:Re: Overdrive does not work when it is hot

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] EXTERNAL:Re: Overdrive does not work when it is hot
From: "Schauss, Peter (IT Solutions)" <peter.schauss@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 08:16:01 -0500
Paul,

The gearbox is a rebuilt unit that I bought from Quantum Mechanics.  It
must have come from an older car.  When I first installed the box, I
could get overdrive in 3rd gear by turning on the switch and pushing the
lever to the right.  (I did not make a habit of this because I did not
want to put additional wear on the shift forks.)  I also noticed that
the shift from 3rd to 4th was required pushing the shift lever slightly
to the right as it went through neutral.

In any event, the isolation switch wore out and started getting flakey
after about a year.  I replaced it with a new one from Moss which lasted
about the same length of time.  At that point I compared the new switch
to an original one from the old gearbox and discovered that the threaded
portion of the original was longer than the new one.  The extra reach on
this switch is enough to make it work in both 3rd and 4th.  I suspect
shorter reach of the Moss switch and the fact that the plane from 3rd to
neutral is further to the left than neutral to 4th was disabling
overdrive in 3rd.

Peter Schauss
1980 MGB