Re: [Mgs] Overdrive does not work when it is hot. Checking for an

To: Ed Woods <fogbro1@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Overdrive does not work when it is hot. Checking for an
From: Richard Gosling <rbgosling@googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 08:33:47 +0100
Ed asked:

 "If an ammeter is available to use instead of the light bulb, so much the
> better; but how many of us have one of those in the tool box?"

I don't know how many of us have one, but most of us should, they're dead
useful.  It's hardly a huge outlay - a quick glance on the first website I
could think of (Screwfix) listed several multimeters, including 3 models for
about #10 ($15).  I've been known to spend more than that on just one socket
(OK, a big one for a hub nut or steering wheel nut).

An intermittent overdrive could be an electrical problem that isn't a break
in the circuit.  A slightly loose or corroded connector (and the bullet
connectors are particularly notorious for degrading this way), corrosion in
the switch etc. could cause a resistance in the circuit that allows some
current to pass, but not always enough.  A continuity tester (i.e. a bulb on
a wire) wouldn't help diagnose that, but an ammeter would.

I'm not trying to take sides on the oil pressure vs. electrical fault
discussion, only suggesting that there are more possible electrical problems
than a complete break in the circuit, and they may require more
sophisticated detection.

Richard and Sammy ('73 Black Tulip BGT, still for sale, slightly crestfallen
at the lack of interest so far...)

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75