Re: [Mgs] Overdrive does not work when it is hot. Checking for an

To: "Richard Ewald" <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Overdrive does not work when it is hot. Checking for an
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 08:46:52 +0100
It's not me that is missing the point or failing to understand, you don't
seem to understand when we describe the same thing in different ways e.g.
additional resistance in series with the circuit and how it can be used.
But invoking headlights when the issue is with the overdrive is pointless.
Forgive me for stating the 'bleedin obvious' (as Basil Fawlty would say) but
you can *see* when a headlight is on normally, dim or off altogether by
looking at it.  You can't see if the overdrive solenoid has normal, lower
than normal, or no current at all flowing through it *except by measuring
the current in the circuit* with an ammeter inserted at one single point.
If the headlamp filament is broken all your multiple voltage tests along the
circuit will tell you nothing useful, except that you have 12v at the bulb.
Ditto the solenoid winding if it is that which is broken.  Until you can see
that you will get nowhere.  I'm sure everyone else is regarding this
discussion with either amusement, irritation or the delete key.  I'm also
sure that you will continue to recommend your way and I will recommend mine,
the difference being that mine will deliver something useful!  Thank you and
good night.

PaulH.