Re: [Mgs] LED BULBS FOR MGA

To: <v.navarrette@comcast.net>, "'Mga List'" <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] LED BULBS FOR MGA
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 17:01:16 +0100
The two cylindrical surface-mount arrays *should* be better as they radiate
sideways as well as backwards.  But how much of that would engage with the
reflector to project backwards I don't know, LED elements are usually
relatively directional.  An incandescent filament radiates pretty-well in
all directions, except perhaps in a direct line off the end of the filament,
but then they are usually curved or wavy anyway which overcomes that.

*Conventional* electronic flashers are no good for LED bulbs that don't
contain an equivalent load, they would flash way too fast, just as thermal
flashers wouldn't flash at all.  If any LED array contains an equivalent
load then they would work equally well with thermal and electronic
conventional flashers, by drawing the same current as an incandescent bulb.
I've not (yet) seen a flasher unit specifically designed for LEDs that also
indicates 'bulb' failure, like conventional thermal and electronic units do.

PaulH.