Re: [Mgs] No oil pressure new B engine

To: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>, "Ed's Shop"
Subject: Re: [Mgs] No oil pressure new B engine
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 13:58:17 -0600
See here: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/of101a.htm
If plug "3" is missing you will have no oil pressure.
If port "E" id plugged you will have excessively high oil pressure.

These are two most common errors by an engine shop.  While the shop
should know better, an amature assembler is not likely to catch the
error.  Sump must be reoved to check.

Fitting the wrong gasket for the oil pump can possibly obstruct the
inlet port.  Not sure if this affects the 3-main or 5-main engine
(possibly both).

At 11:10 AM 1/23/2011 -0800, Richard Ewald wrote:
>My buddy had a new engine built for his B.  Engine does not produce any oil
>pressure. ....
>I have pulled the line to the oil pressure gauge and pumped oil backwards
>into the engine per the suggestion on Barney's website.  We have even turned
>the engine backward, and still no oil pressure.  I tried pumping oil into
>the oil pressure gage line and then using shop air to force the oil down
>into the pump.  When I did this I could hear the air bubbling in the oil pan
>so I am fairly sure the pump is NOT dry at this point.
>Taking the hose off the inlet to the oil cooleer I can feel some pressure
>buld up, but I am getting no oil out.  We have carnked the engine with the
>plugs out till the batteries are dead.
>So I have two questions before I pull the pan.
>I seem to recall that either the gasket kit either came with two gaskets or
>it is possible to get the gasket on backwards/upside down.  Is my memory
>correct, or am I getting old?
>Any other suggestions you have before I pull the pan?

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive