Re: [Mgs] Electric cooling fan for 71 MGB

To: Mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Electric cooling fan for 71 MGB
From: The Roxter <rocknatural@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 12:39:34 -0600
On 3/7/2011 2:53 AM, Paul Hunt wrote:
> Factory electric fans always shut off with the ignition, it depends
> on the fitter as to what after-market fans do, could be either.
> Personally I think to have them running after the engine is switched
> off is not a good thing, it could run the battery down if the switch
> stuck on, or at worst could burn out the car as happened several
> times a few years ago with some modern French car or other (and half
> the owners house as the car was in the garage at the time).
While we're on this subject, I want to interject a comment: once while driving
my old Chevy Carryall on the QE near Toronto, there was a horrendous bang and
the entire truck started shaking violently. I immediatelt shut it off and
pulled onto the verge. There was a clean cut in the heavy metal bonnet of the
truck, about three inches long. One of the blades of the four-bladed fan had
broken off and cut right through the bonnet. We never found the blade. I
removed the rest of that blade and it ran just fine on two blades for the rest
of the summer. The second half of the story is that a man my dad knew was
killed when he was revving an engine is his shop and the same thing happened
to the fan blade, but in this case, it went clear through his head, killing
him instantly. I'm always VERY leary of the possibility that things might
break off a spinning engine and harm me or others. I set up my engines,
sometimes with mirrors, so that I can do the timing without being in line to
be hurt. I recommend this practice.

-Rocky Frisco
--

Mgs@autox.team.net