[Mgs] Banjo rear axle repair

To: "mg-mgb@yahoogroups.com" <mg-mgb@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: [Mgs] Banjo rear axle repair
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 14:33:46 +0000
I think the rear axle on my 67BGT is near failure. I bought it 12 years ago
and it has had the clunk since I bought it, when putting the car in reverse. I
replaced the u-joints the first year or so to no avail. Also, when driving at
very slow speeds, there has always been a slight knock barely audible. I
traced it to the rear axle by rotating the wheels which I believe occurred
every rotation or half rotation. It has always been on the back of mind to
take care of but since I use the car primarily for local driving, it hasn't
been urgent. But last week when the engine died while driving (down shifting),
I popped it into second gear to restart the engine and the rear axle locked
up. I freed it by going into reverse after stopping but something still
sounded loose, but after driving I made the five miles back home without any
problems, besides the usual tap heard at slow speeds like when slowing down at
an intersection. It's the original wire wheel axle most likely.

How easy is it to disassemble/repair a banjo rear axle? I am a bit reluctant
because last time I had a spare rear axle (from my 71BGT), I gave it to my son
to use in his high school automotive class when they were doing axles. They
got it apart but it came back to me in pieces.

Ideally, if I could buy another spare WW rear axle, I could swap it out and
work on the old one at my leisure. If anyone has one to sell or know of one,
let me know. I plan to come to Portland, Oregon for the swap meet in May so
anything in the Portland/Seattle area, I could pick up while there.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B
64 B