[Mgs] Sat Nav/GPS rant, was MG6 Review

Subject: [Mgs] Sat Nav/GPS rant, was MG6 Review
From: WSpohn4 at aol.com (WSpohn4 at aol.com)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 10:34:41 EDT
That's hilarious.

We went on a trip to the Rhone last Fall and for the first time used a GPS.
 I figure we saved a total of about a day we'd have spent trying to find
our way  through some large towns etc., so it was very helpful, and I bought
one after I  got home.  It also has a pretty good capability to indicate
speed, so I use  it in my Jamaican bodied MGA because I haven't got around to
figuring out why my  electronic speedo insists on ignoring signals from the
electronic sender in the  T5 trans attached to the 3.4 engine in that car.

But I've also noted that it doesn't always use the best and fastest route
and it insists that a street near my house is continuous even though it has
never connected where it indicates - the GPS tells you to turn up a street
that  doesn't exist.

Like most modern aids, these things have to be used with a bit of common
sense, coupled with an ability to read a map, and shouldn't be relied upon as
 your sole method of navigation.

If you don't think that aids like this derogate from learning necessary
skills, hand a cashier $4.21 some time when you are buying something that
costs  $3.96 and watch them waiting until their electronic cash register tells
them how  much to give you back - simple arithmetic and the idea that you'd
prefer to have  a quarter in your pocket to a handful of small change just
doesn't seem to occur  to them.  Most of them just look at you as if you are
the weird one for  giving them odd change.

Bill

In a message dated 26/03/2011 10:05:51 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,