Re: [Mgs] Rattle in dash

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Rattle in dash
From: "Hans Duinhoven" <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 23:18:00 +0200
Paul, Ed & Rick,

I took the speedo out and left the 90 deg gear connected to the cable.
Went for a drive and the square tip went spinning at a regular pace.
No interrupts were noticed, even when I tried to put some friction on the
square tip with my fingers.
So the cable and 90 deg gear seems to be o.k.
The gear makes some noise when going up to speed - not much though.
Afterwards I conencted the speedo again, still outside the dash on the
passenger seat.
No rattle reappeared.
The speedo speed indicator needle now was much more steady, so I suppose the
cable was slightly bent before in the dash, causing friction and irregular
rotations.
But I still don't understand the rattle pace, which is much less than the
rotational speed of the output tip of the 90 deg gear.
Anyway next sunday the GT will be part in a charity rally tour
http://www.xs4all.nl/~i2mp/linkedinclassic/html/deelnemers.html, so that
will be a nice test.
The speedo cable now has been rerouted into the dash with a long curve, in
order to prevent any friction.
I behaved well for the 10 miles drive I went this evening.

Cheers,

Hans