Re: [Mgs] Clutch pedal sticking down

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Clutch pedal sticking down
From: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 16:45:21 -0400
All I can say is that when I ran a parts house a shop would buy a kit for an
aluminum cylinder and within 1-2 months they would call back and buy a
complete cylinder a HUGE % of the time.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 26, 2011, at 15:53, Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com> wrote:

> I have honed and repacked a lot of aluminum slave cylinders with no prolem,
including the clutch slave and two rear brake slaves that have been in service
on my MGA since 1986 (238,000 miles), having been rebukt a couple of times by
now.

> I have never known an aluminum slave cylinder to be anodized.  If it was
anodized it most likely could not be honed, aa the aluminum oxide coating woud
be as hard as a grinding stone.

> At 02:31 PM 6/26/2011 -0400, Richard Ewald wrote:
>> If it Is an aluminum cylinder do not hone it. Either replace it or sleeve
it.. Aluminum cylinders are anodized to prevent corrosion.  If you hone the
anodizing off the life expectancy of the "rebuilt" cylinder is measured in
weeks, months if you are very lucky.

>> On Jun 26, 2011, at 13:29, Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com> wrote:
>> > If you suspect a slave cylinder problem, it bears disassembly for
inspection.  A simple honing operation and a repacking kit can be easy and
cheaper than a new slave cylinder assembly.

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive