[Mgs] Strange Starting

Subject: [Mgs] Strange Starting
From: paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk (Paul Hunt)
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 15:19:37 +0100
Quite possibly the ignition switch disconnecting 12v from the white ignition
wire when you turn the key to 'crank', and only reconnecting it when you
release the key from the crank position back towards the 'run' position.
However this would reveal itself as the fuel gauge dropping back towards
zero while you were cranking ... assuming it works.  That would also cut
power to the pump, so possibly the fuel level is dropping in the carb float
chambers which could cause a weak mixture.  However resolve the ignition
issue first, then see if you still have the backfire.

Other possibilities if you have after-market electronic ignition, especially
on a rubber-bumper car, are that depending on where the power feed for the
electronic module is taken from, the voltage could be too low during
cranking for the ignition module to fire.

So as a previous respondent has indicated, we need to know the model and
whether it is factory or has after-market mods.

PaulH.