[Mgs] reverse sliding gear question. 1978 Midget.

Subject: [Mgs] reverse sliding gear question. 1978 Midget.
From: mcolson40 at hotmail.com (Milton Olson)
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 11:29:53 -0400
I am in the process of rebuilding the transmission in my Midget and have a
question. I purchased a "good" used sliding reverse gear that has a couple of
chipped teeth. The tapered portion of one tooth is broken away. The teeth on
either side of the this tooth still have some of the tapered portion left.
Even with the damaged teeth this new used gear is a lot better condition than
my old one. I will be putting a new reverse idler gear in to run with this
used gear.
My question is does anyone have experience with this type of condition? How
much tooth damage does it take to cause a shifting or noise problem?
Thanks for any comments.
Milton
1978 Midget.