[Mgs] Hazard blinkers at half speed

Subject: [Mgs] Hazard blinkers at half speed
From: paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk (Paul Hunt)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 09:04:14 +0100
Two problems.

The hazards use a different flasher unit to the turn signals, and should
work normally i.e. flash at the correct speed as long as there is at least
one connected bulb.  If any bulbs even light with the turn signals, but
nothing happens when you turn the hazards on, then you need to check the
hazard circuit from the in-line fuse (brown both sides) through the hazard
flasher to the hazard switch.  The switch when on connects four terminals
together - light-green/brown from the flasher unit, green/white and
green/red to the corners of the car, and a fourth wire to a repeater lamp on
the console if you have one.  As the corners light with the turn signals the
problem must be before where the green/white and green/red from the hazard
switch join the same coloured wires from the turn switch near the column.

As far as the turn signals go one thing you did not say before was whether
they lit up but didn't flash, or didn't light at all, or whether just the
backs lit and the fronts not at all.  New flasher units usually respond
better for a few weeks until they 'burn in', so that could well explain why
they are working at half-speed now whereas they didn't flash before, and the
problem is bad connections probably at the front lamp units which is what
you had off when the problem started.  However that would need both sides to
have pretty-well exactly the same level of bad connection - possible but
unlikely.  Alternatively it could be a common fault somewhere in the green -
hazard switch - turn flasher - turn switch circuit.  The thing to do here is
plot the voltage with respect to earth at each of those point and see if you
get a noticeable reduction in voltage from one to the next, which will
indicate a bad connection between the two.  You can extend this test through
the bullet connectors in the green/white and green/red near the fusebox, and
at each corner of the car, and into the light units.

PaulH.