[Mgs] Determining the diff ratio

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Determining the diff ratio
From: fogbro1@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 23:51:28 +0000 (UTC)
List,

Just to confirm the MGA ratio in my TF, I did the following:

1. Jacked l/r wheel off garage floor, r/r left on floor to prevent rotation,
gearbox in neutral.

2. Rotated l/r wheel 10 turns while counting driveshaft bolts as they went by.
Counted 86.

3. Divided driveshaft bolts by 4 to get driveshaft revs. 86/4=21.5

4. Divided driveshaft revs by wheel reves. 21.5/10=2.15

5. Multiplied by 2. 2.15x2=4.3 (the standard MGA diff ratio.

Apologies to all those who "knew this already", but in searching the web to
confirm my recollection of this procedure, I found everything from "it can't be
done" to "divide by 2" and even " take the cover off the diff and count teeth".

Ed Woods

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75