Re: [Mgs] Leaky clutch hydraulics

To: "Hans Duinhoven" <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Leaky clutch hydraulics
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 09:22:34 -0000
Don't forget to remove the battery earth strap first and replace it last!

If the solenoid has been replaced because of the stripped thread, and this
is the first time the wiring has been off since, you should be fine, just
don't overtighten.

The trouble is brake fluid evaporates, on the ground at any rate, so you may
need to put some more in, and bleed it, to see where it is coming from.

Workshop Manual states 36,000 miles or 36 months for all hydraulic *brake*
seals, nothing about clutch or hoses.  Personally I replace brake hoses when
there is any fine surface cracking evident, and when I replaced the
callipers.  Likewise when I replaced the V8 master I replaced the flex hose
and slave as a matter of course - fortunately the V8 hose is a lot easier
than the 4-cylinder.  I really cussed when we had to change the slave on a
4-cylinder after a clutch change, we had of course already had the engine
out, but it was back in before we discovered the slave problem.

PaulH.