[Mgs] Thought you might enjoy this cross-posted thread

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mgs] Thought you might enjoy this cross-posted thread
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:52:41 -0800 (PST)
Hey Gang,

Long time, no type!  Since I sold my MGB I have gone into 'lurker' and digest
mode, since I have little to contribute (as this post will easily confirm).
Still, I try to keep up with the List traffic as I still love these cars.

I thought you might get a chuckle from the knowledge that there is a raging
discussion over on the E-Type List, concerning engine swaps, 'originality',
'preservation', 'restoration', judging rules and what the word 'correct'
actually means.  :-P  I immediately thought of this list (in the kindest and
most entertaining ways).

As you might imagine, there are purists (like me) who think all of these cars
are a part of history and should be preserved, or if already 'tweaked', they
should be restored.  There are others who loudly proclaim, "I don't polish 'em,
I drive 'em!", and they seem to believe that swapping out any parts imaginable
is acceptable, if not preferred.  Some are championing the value of changing
the lump to an American V8.  And while anyone can do anything they want to
their own car, I do find the act distasteful, if not relegating a classic to
'kit car' status.  But that's just my opinion, and worth only what anyone has
paid for it.

Despite having sold (traded really) my MGB, I still have three British cars -
so I also still happily suffer failed fuel pumps, broken electrical grounds
(earths) and leaking SU carbs, just as the Almighty Maker intended.  Here's my
present scuderia;

'09 Toyota Highlander - wife's daily driver (boring parts hauler)

'08 Porsche Cayman - my daily driver (stunning performer)

'79 Ferrari 308GTB - my quick toy (running perfectly)

'73 Jaguar E-Type - wife's toy (running perfectly)

'69 R-R Silver Shadow - my big, long, heavy toy (hell, I don't know why)

'62 Triumph TR3b - my little toy (with a broken fuel pump :-)

Best of the season to you all, my similarly afflicted friends!

-rick

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75