[Mgs] Typical repair session

Subject: [Mgs] Typical repair session
From: mvheim at sonic.net (Max Heim)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 17:40:23 -0800
OK, here's some actual MG content.

I finally had a chance to install my rebuilt oil/temp combo gauge. I used
MoMa, BTW -- they weren't quick but it looks gorgeous -- I swear they
replated the housing. Actually too nice for my car, really.

In order to remove the broken-off sender from the head, I had to drain the
coolant. Of course, the spigot was stuck. I applied a little extra leverage
(not that much, really), and the whole thing plus the brazed-in threaded
insert just came right out of the bottom tank (fortunately my catch basin
was already in place). Much cursing ensued. In pulling the radiator, I
noticed that the top end of the bracket on one side had popped loose, as
well. It also seemed that some tubes in the rad must have been clogged,
since after attempting to drain it from every possible postion, it still
seemed to have something sloshing around in it.  So it's going to the
radiator shop for a complete refit.

I don't want to order a new one since my asumption is that anything new will
be crappier than what I have, which at least is all brass and reasonably
straight. And it would probably be very expensive, considering the price of
brass these days.

So, typical -- get around to fixing one thing and you wind up with a new and
unrelated problem. C'est la vie...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

PS: I seem to have lost one of the knurled nuts that secure the gauge
bracket. Anyone have a spare, or know where to get one? Nothing in my nut
bin seemed to have the same thread...