Re: [Mgs] Last MGB back home

To: "\" Just Brits \" Shop" <shop@justbrits.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Last MGB back home
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 09:06:58 -0000
Almost certainly true in medieval times, although not so much for horseback
as to restrict the mobility of attackers on foot with swords, which is why
doorways seem so low and narrow to us.  For a similar reason spiral
staircases in castles were always built with a right-hand twist as you go up
to restrict how well an attacker could wield his sword, but not a defender,
right-handedness being the norm. Abingdon Museum is actually a town hall and
market hall built long after that, where the design was more a factor of
aesthetics than practicalities, and first-floor windows are way above
horse-mounted attackers :o)