Re: [Mgs] [Shop-talk] Painting inside a chassis

To: Max Heim <mvheim@sonic.net>,MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] [Shop-talk] Painting inside a chassis
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 15:38:12 -0500
Oh dear -   No one in their right mind would squirt anything around
and then try to paint !  Or would they?
Incidentally the drips were no big deal - and after a couple of weeks
the cardboard under the car was not needed - this is not counting the
sump and rear diff - but that has stopped too - .......you see adding
cement to the oil WAS a good idea :-).

At 02:28 PM 1/5/2012, Max Heim wrote:
>I am astonished that anyone is advocating this type of application prior to
>painting. It would seem to me that it would be guaranteed to cause failure
>of paint adhesion at any point to which the Waxoyl could "creep" (in other
>words, any horizontal or vertical undercar surface).
>
>I suppose the "dripping" side effect is tolerable in that it is only
>duplicating the ubiquitous drivetrain oil drip. It would require a much
>larger area of oil-absorbing matting, however.
>
>--
>
>Max Heim
>'66 MGB GHN3L76149
>If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
>it's the primer red one with chrome wires
>

>on 1/5/12 10:01 AM, Barrie Robinson at barrie@look.ca wrote:
>
> > Eric,
> >
> > Waxoyl will do the trick.  I tried it out on my MGB bare chassis - It
> > came in two cans one of which had the applicator and a sort of
> > wand.  But after a few attempts and warming the cans to get a good
> > flow, I got a little jaded.  When the car was on the road I took it
> > up to some place that claimed to be the original Krone but now better
> > than all the others (heard that a few times !!!).  They shoved big
> > long high powered wands in all over - the car that is - and all done
> > in 1/2 hour.  Car dripped for days (cardboard under it)  Still creeps
> > up the outside of the doors - and that is after 6 or more
> > years.   The cost difference is minimal and I am sure these places do
> > a better job than we can with their equipment.

> >> Thank you everyone for your replies. I don't know why I had not
> >> considered Waxoyl. I'd had our '78 MGB treated with Waxoyl (car
> >> since sold). It seems like Waxoyl (or perhaps the redneck/home made
> >> version) applied with a garden sprayer & extended wands might do the job.
> >> Thanks for the reminder to check Barney Gaylord's site (which I do
> >> regularly) and MG experience (which I do occasionally).
> >> Eric Russell
> >> Mebane, NC
>

> > Regards
> >
> > Barrie