[Mgs] oil pressure problem or perception thereof

To: "MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com" <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: [Mgs] oil pressure problem or perception thereof
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 01:23:45 +0000
My 64B, back on the road after sitting in a garage for nearly 30 years has a
few oil pressure oddities. Its standard mode is that after starting, it
typically goes up to and holds 55 psi. After it warms up, it only runs at 45
psi, slightly below the established 50-70 psi range. On the idling end, at
500-1000 rpm, it runs 20-30 psi. As such, I wasn't too concerned about the 45
psi reading. I should mention my first MGB, a pull handle 65, idled at 10 and
peaked at 40 psi which led to an engine overhaul due to worn rod bearings. But
with my higher idle readings on the 64B, I figure an eventual engine overhaul
but no urgency (compression is good @160 on all four cylinders).

So the problem is what happens in cold weather. I had to evict the 64B from
the garage while doing some work on the 72B and when I start the 64B at
temperatures below maybe 20-25 degrees, the pressure only comes up to 10 psi
and stays there for 2-3 minutes until the engine starts warming up (at maybe
30-40 F starts, it will start maybe a bit higher at 20 psi and stay there for
a minute or two as well. Now on my 67BGT for example, cold weather will
suppress the initial pressure reading at maybe 50-55 psi before it gets up to
70 as the engine warms which is more typical.

Does this problem seem familiar to anyone? I am running 10-40 Castrol, second
oil change since resurrecting the car, about 500 miles on it now. The question
is - is the pressure really that low or is it more likely a problem with the
gauge (how would I tell?)? If it really is that low, would replacing the oil
release valve spring and cup do any good (for the 45 psi maybe but I'm not
sure about this temperature related problem). Due to weather conditions here,
the car does get less driving in the winter - dry days, moderate weather. But
the low psi is discouraging me from driving the car and technically it's one
of my daily drivers, my other Bs garaged and insured with classic car
insurance.

David Councill
64 B
67 BGT