Re: [Mgs] Removal of smog equipment and ply bushings

To: ronking@sbcglobal.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Removal of smog equipment and ply bushings
From: "mgbob@juno.com" <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 14:47:51 GMT
Hi Ron,   Most remove pump, hosing, air rail, gulp valve, etc.   If you want
to retain them for original appearance, open the pump, remove the vanes and
reassemble. The free-spinning pump then has almost no drag and, without the
vanes, is unlikely to seize. There are several late MGBs in our CT MG Club
that have been modified this way.  Some have put a ball bearing into the head,
underneath the air-rail fitting, to keep exhaust pressure from pushing back
into the rail. Others argue that that is likely to harm the head. I would say
that, if you do it, to avoid tightening the fitting much.  In my MGBs I have
used original-type rubber, V8 and prothane bushings. In the current one I have
used V8 and prothane, the V8 at one time because Moss suggests that the
prothane will increase noise.  Maybe so, but I now have the prothane in my GT
I sure cannot detect any additional noise (GTs amplify noise greatly).
Prothane is the way to go. Do it now, because when you go to replace the V8
bushings you will probably find that it's a fight to get them off. More often
than not, despite the anti seize used, they stick. The red bushings give a
nice, tighter feel to the suspension, look good, and they are forever.   Moss
has the cable I think you are asking about, #332-085. I do not know its
length.Bob