Re: [Mgs] Dynamo output reverses

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Dynamo output reverses
From: Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 19:36:31 -0700
Cc: V8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>, mgs@autox.team.net, MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :cc:content-type; bh=Rk+tT2w/ReP4F1cZz7lPC+4GLoKAMdhIraiPpJyNmDw=; b=zeLPqpuLHHRPq3gInBzcub9O8tl58FskmzE/wSNHVCeOo89k5U1k97rBejsCacFZwO JTdxPH7cYsyeTOAkd1deoVWPBMZXe3B+m8otidUioUAn4j2qtJ5j9ftDhCWU1NQNQEcZ HljC7OSBRYL3oq2rrrgGuAjkDSjE0RdmXFEnzzUs4K7EnccSA7QPfQolBnPQBT82IPn6 t4TGPl40XWR86hT7yiaeCrgdlLh6mREw4XPlgJPqfhMnVpMV0iDxwMLIDDEddznDBtiu GDLk+FhFauKpelj6dIOW43F+X9xnSUFL/kKb5gG3M5YBacXnwCa0fe/RXnOSvq+E5+6E cKcg==
On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>wrote:

> See charging circuit here:
> http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/**electric/circ_c.htm<http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/circ_c.htm>
> Notice ground connections inside the generator.  This is parallel wound,
> meaning that both field and armature are connected between power and
> ground.  If you switch the leads on the brushes it will reverse output
> polarity of the armature.  My bet is the brush leads have been switched (or
> brushes swapped in the holders).  When you install new brushes, R&R only
> one at a time so they get connected same as original.  This of course
> assumes the old ones were connected properly.

The last time I R&R'd my generator, I don't recall there being any doubt
about how the brushes were connected.

For Paul: also, the rear bearing was completely shot and it still worked,
although the output was rather low. Certainly, the bad bearing did not
reverse the polarity.

Simon