[Mgs] rear end noise

Subject: [Mgs] rear end noise
From: barneymg at mgaguru.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 11:21:10 -0500
I have to ask you better define the noise.
A loud clacking noise would be a broken gear tooth (very unlikely).
A continuous whining noise is misaligned gear teeth, usually a result
of worn carrier bearings.  This noise will change to quieter or
noisier going on or off throttle.
A cyclical rumbling sound that repeats 2 or 3 times a second
depending on road speed would be a worn wheel bearing.
If the worn bearing rumble is also accompanied by a slightly variable
whining sound, it might be a worn carrier bearing, but that sort of
wear is very unusual.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com