[Mgs] Fuel Pumps

Subject: [Mgs] Fuel Pumps
From: redscirocco at hotmail.com (Mike Eldred)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:06:08 -0400
Double ditto.  One of the first "extras" I'll buy for my Midget after it's
returned to regular duty is an SU fuel pump to replace the cube that it came
with, and a set of SU carbs to replace the Weber that someone stuck in place
of the perfectly good SUs that it came with.
For me, the biggest reason is that they're long lasting, reliable, and
repairable with hand tools and a modicum of mechanical ability.  The SU fuel
pump on my TF has been rebuilt once in the 45 years we've owned it, and the
same with the SU carbs, mainly to replace a couple of worn parts.
I don't know if it makes me a purist, but I know I want my MGs to look, sound,
smell, and run like they're supposed to.  On the other hand, some upgrades I
wouldn't hesitate to undertake.  If I had the opportunity to upgrade my TF
brakes to MGA discs or install an MGA rear, I'd do it for the improved
driveability and safety.
-Mike EldredWilmington, VT1954 MG TF1973 Midget