[Mgs] Tightening the nut on the left side motor mount

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mgs] Tightening the nut on the left side motor mount
From: Peter Schauss <rpschauss@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:16:44 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=Z3WaM/Gcya7nX4voZtUlkNUMRrMZD7lJxOdmyHe0DvY=; b=STz1uq/s7HVUXThFV5ljJ2inFg88pGpE3l+W0FmhyHMQ2Cre7c66NXMTSz/5N2S5W7 dklbK/TYuIo7NuqmmiYU1im712s0uta0orhqctXWjvoVPGNlAh8ZdfqdZlc1uDZDQhUA q42MFsaQXTucPX4bZDDfNhUyG48OyJDLumEqXrkQ91JwHIxt8vmtrMPWPTALL8db/C3X fXMF99A04Om3iSpImIe3eejmnVIJfC0QXZkrcGH4qoU/Wx/tjr7jnSvfu4Hj/3L6UfcL 9/tIcZoN6ZNI6mHG3jg1/hbxjJYhIGa8lFTGgOgmr4YckGS2z6M7uyHix516KTLAZ/WW n//A==
On the left (driver's ) side, the steering column runs through the
bracket where the motor mount is supposed be fastened to the body.
This makes it virtually impossible to get the nut started on the stud
which runs into the bottom of the rubber mount.  I have managed to do
this twice before by using an refrigerator magnet to position the nut,
but this time that trick does not seem to work.  Is there any
alternative to removing the steering rack?

If I have to remove the steering rack, where can I get the special
tool that the manual shows for aligning the upper an lower parts of
the column?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss
1980 MGB