Re: [Mgs] 1966 OD Plug

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 1966 OD Plug
From: Chris Moog <cgmoog@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 08:55:00 -0400
I try to follow OEM recommendations but do stray on some lubrication
issues.  Some times the OEMs have no clue.  The LT77 5-speed is one such
example.  Started as SAE 75 gearbox oil, then they recommended engine
oil, then ATF.  I also believe MGs started with gearbox oil then changed
their recommendation to engine oil to improve shift action.

In most of my manual boxes, I use Pennzoil Sychromesh Transmission
fluid.  Its a synthetic low viscosity (slightly thicker than AFT,
Almost the same as 10weight oils, designed to solve some heat and
bearing related failures in GM Fiero transmissions made by Getrag (or so
I've heard).  Its very popular with the T5 Mustang crowd.  Seems to keep
smooth shifts in a box that well known for balky upshifts (fiber sychros
are not too strong).