Re: [Mgs] valve adjustment

To: <sdesalvo@frontiernet.net>, "mg list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] valve adjustment
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 13:51:11 +0100
Sender: mgs-bounces@autox.team.net
Ordinarily that sounds like a worn pad on the rocker, so that a 15 thou gauge with a sliding fit results in a 20 thou, say, gap. However I note the new rocker.

What system are you using to adjust the valves? What clearance? Hot or cold? Most people use the rule of nine where when any valve is fully down you subtract that from nine and adjust that one, i.e. when 1 is down you adjust 8, 6 down adjust 3, and so on. However I have found that on some of my valves that isn't the point with the greatest gap, it is someway one side of it or the other, so on those I set the gap at the point of greatest gap, and that does make them a bit quieter.

OTOH maybe the followers or something else is worn and rattling, and putting the gauge in with the engine running is simply taking up all the gap so it can't rattle.

PaulH.