[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [Mgs] Successor of MGTF?

To: PaulHunt73 <>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Successor of MGTF?
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 15:24:40 -0500
Authentication-results: pacmmta53; auth=pass (PLAIN)
Cc: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
List-archive: <>
List-help: <>
List-id: MG Sports Car discussion <>
List-post: <>
List-subscribe: <>, <>
List-unsubscribe: <>, <>
Organization: Computer Helpers
References: <C6904EB75CF44BE89DA85E475D6245AE@uw471de61b465c> <9681894D1E8A46BF854C71BC6B5D7B90@paul> <> <57B1C4C462FA423B97CD542E273A715E@paul> <> <BEE976FE44EE4A05A2B242682B0836B3@paul>
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv: Gecko/20101125 Thunderbird/3.0.11
WOW!  That's awful.  In my case I just didn't renew the registration 
(windshield license sticker) when it came due in Oct. 2010.  Of course 
if I'd been caught on the road with an expired sticker it would have 
been a hefty fine.  Likewise the safety sticker.  We have to have our 
cars inspected annually as to lights, brakes, etc. We have to show proof 
that the car is insured as to liability in order to get these things done.

So after I put in the new brake MC and got everything else working, I 
had to add the car back to my auto insurance policy, re-register the car 
and then take it to an authorized inspection station to get the safety 
sticker.  Oh, I also had to sign a statement that I hadn't driven the 
car in the unregistered period and that there were no outstanding 
tickets on it.  I suppose that tickets business has to do with abandoned 
cars on the streets.

I suppose it boils down to much the same thing as in your country. Just 
different terminology. :-)


On 5/4/2012 11:39 AM, PaulHunt73 wrote:
> Not an off-road vehicle, but a vehicle taken out of use.  In the UK we 
> either tax and insure a car for a rolling 12 months, or we have to 
> notify the authorities that it has been taken out of use - a Statutory 
> Off Road Notification.  Particularly in the case of a restoration that 
> may take some years you wouldn't want to tax (in the case of cars 
> built after 1972) and insure a vehicle that wasn't going to be used 
> for some time, and if you just stop taxing or insuring a vehicle 
> without declaring SORN you get fined. However some people only tax 
> their summer classic for the six months of summer, declaring SORN for 
> the winter months, to reduce running costs. It's supposed to prevent 
> people getting away without taxing, insuring or MOTing (annual safety 
> check) their vehicle but in practice those sorts of people have 
> vehicles that aren't even on the books anyway for various reasons, and 
> it's generally law-abiding people that get caught out, either through 
> a simple omission or something more sneaky.  Imagine you declare SORN 
> and send your car away to be restored.  If the restorer trailers the 
> car anywhere at any time, and one of the number plates is still on the 
> car, it can be picked up by an Automatic Number Plate Recognition 
> camera, and the owner gets fined for using a car on the road that he 
> has declared as SORN.  Saying it was on a trailer at the time gets you 
> nowhere.
> PaulH.
> ----- Original Message ----- What does "off road" mean? Up on blocks, 
> in storage, etc.?
> _______________________________________________
> Donate:
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive:
> Forums:
> Unsubscribe:
Suggested annual donation  $12.75

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>