Re: [Mgs] 67 MKI upper steering column nylon bearing

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 67 MKI upper steering column nylon bearing
From: Rick Starkweather <rstarkweather@scottmadden.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 17:32:18 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Dave:

I've got my steering column apart right now as I am "rebuilding" it
(repaint, new nylon bushing, new felt seal).  I had no problem removing the
old nylon bushing once the inner shaft was removed.  Just need a screwdriver
to press a small detent in the bushing.

Rick

Rick Starkweather, Partner | O: 919-781-4191 | M: 919-345-9871
ScottMadden Inc. | 2626 Glenwood Ave, #480 | Raleigh, NC 27608 |
scottmadden.com
rstarkweather@scottmadden.com

 <http://twitter.com/#!/scottmadden>
<http://www.facebook.com/#!/ScottMaddenInc>
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/37992>

> From: Max Heim <mvheim@sonic.net>
> Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 09:39:41 -0700
> To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Re: [Mgs] 67 MKI upper steering column nylon bearing
>
> I'm pretty sure I used the nylon bushing on my 66 B, and it wasn't a
> tremendous hassle. I can't really recall the details, though.
>
> --
>
> Max Heim
> '66 MGB GHN3L76149
> If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
> it's the primer red one with chrome wires
>
> on 9/6/12 7:15 PM, W. David Houser at mgs4dave@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
>
>> Listers,
>> Has anyone replaced this bearing at the top of the steering column between
>> the
>> outer and inner shafts of their early MGB?
>> I was hoping to remove the top bolt from the steering universal, pull out
the
>> top inner shaft and then remove the old bushing and replace the new one to
>> take up the play I have there. Then hopefully replace the inner shaft. Is
>> there another/easier way to go about this? I haven't found a thing online
or
>> in any of the collection of MGB books that I have.
>> TIA,

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission contains information
that is confidential, privileged, or proprietary. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that you are not authorized to read, print,
retain, copy or disseminate this message, any part of it, or any attachments.
If you have received this message in error, please delete this message and any
attachments from your system without reading the content and notify the sender
immediately of the inadvertent transmission. There is no intent on the part of
the sender to waive any privilege that may attach to this communication.