Re: [Mgs] Alternator, battery, fan, or normal?

To: "Aaron Whiteman" <awhitema@panix.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Alternator, battery, fan, or normal?
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 16:04:15 +0100
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net
You can measure each terminal to earth, but it's easier to measure between
the two at the alternator, maybe less so when comparing the brown at the alt
with the white at the ignition switch.  Meter on volts, all you have to
watch out for is that each probe doesn't touch earth as well as the terminal
it is supposed to be on.  If one is on a terminal, the other can be on an
earth quite safely.

Both my single-speed heater fans take about 3 amps, which is quite
surprising given the relatively feeble performance.  The motor out of a
2-speed heater may take a little more, although the two speeds were obtained
by inserting a resistor to get the lower speed, rather than any mod to the
windings themselves, although the two do have different part numbers.   If
the windings are shorting out or there is any mechanical drag on the fan
slowing it down it will take more.

OD should take less than an amp, fuel pump will only draw current in short
occasional pulses - the original SU type anyway.

PaulH.