Re: [Mgs] MG activity

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MG activity
From: Max Heim <mvheim@sonic.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 13:14:19 -0800
Forgot to mention the other little problem: in re-tightening the front
"lever & pin", I broke the bolt. Of course I couldn't find an exact
replacement at the hardware store -- the nut was some odd size that neither
5/16 or 11/32 fit effectively (I assume that was 21/64, but WHY????). So I
grabbed a pair of metric bolts that take an 8mm perfectly (a pair, so that
the same socket would fit both). I also ordered a new unit from Moss, but
when it arrived I refused to put it on the car -- it was just too cheesy
(yes, even cheesier than using metric hardware). The piece was just a bent
stamping -- instead of the pressed-in round pin, it had a bent flat tab. I
wasn't convinced that it would actuate simultaneously with the other pin,
based on the completely different shape. Plus, it just looked cheap, like it
was from a Geo Metro (my baseline for cheap construction -- everything on
that car was a cheap stamping, including the axle nuts).

Anyway, it's all back together, tuned and test-run.

During this process, I discovered that the heater valve control cable had
become detached. The set screw was spinning in the cable clamp, but a new
screw seemed to fix that.

While I was at it, I thought I would try to center the steering wheel, which
had been bugging me -- it was a tooth off-center. But in order to undo the
nut, I had to remove the horn button, and starting this procedure brought to
mind the problems I had had installing the new steering wheel, which was
slightly thicker. Anyway, the three set screws around the edge of the hub
all had stripped slots. I managed to back one out purely using friction.
Then I unbolted the wheel from the adapter by removing the perimeter screws.
I couldn't remove the wheel, which was still trapped by the horn button, but
it gave me enough wiggle room to rotate the button and pry it off. Then I
loosened the center nut and removed the hub, and took it to my workbench to
get the stripped set screws out. I managed to remove two of them and fab up
replacements -- the horn button has a notch, so it can be slipped on over a
single fixed set screw.

I had marked the hub position, so I refitted it one tooth over, got the
wheel back together and tested the horn, which operated no more erratically
then previously. So I chalked that up as a win.

But if I actually want to drive it anywhere, I suppose I need to bow to the
calendar and fit the hardtop. Today, for instance, started off sunny, then
featured a succession of torrential downpours, many with the sun still
shining.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149