Re: [Mgs] Rheostat, now Bulbs

To: "Jack Feldman" <qualitas.jack@gmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Rheostat, now Bulbs
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 14:22:57 -0000
Very current, lots of complaints about it ...

You need to be careful with halogen bulbs in instruments, they run much
hotter than standard incandescents and can damage them, I've measured them
at up to 90C compared with 30C for standard 2.2w.  There are a number of
directly compatible LED types around, I've tried five different types so
far, but the best are only marginally better than standard -
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/led.htm#4, probably because they are all forward
facing even when multi-element.  If you could get multi-element where the
elements were arranged around the surface of a cylinder, like LED festoons,
but small enough to fit they would probably be better.

The best I've seen are 12v LED strips cut into pieces and stuck inside the
case.  Ironically these are so bright they do need a dimmer, but using LEDs
renders the standard dimmer useless as the resistance/current/voltage
characteristic is completely wrong, really you need a pulse unit with
variable duty-cycle to control the brightness of LEDs.

PaulH.