Re: [Mgs] 74 MGB starter issue

To: "William Killeffer" <wkilleffer@epbfi.com>, <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 74 MGB starter issue
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 09:26:54 -0000
Before pulling the starter you need to check the connections.

When you turn the key and get the click, do the lights dim?  If they go
right out then the starter is trying to pull current and the problem is in
the battery earth strap or the 12v connection through to the solenoid stud,
a voltmeter will tell you where the problem is.

If the lights don't go out the starter isn't trying to pull any current.  It
could be the gearbox earth strap, again a voltmeter will show the problem
when connected between a brown at the fusebox and a good engine earth, by
the voltage dropping right down when the key is turned.  However there are
usually enough alternative paths via the heater, accelerator and choke
cables to at least allow the starter to turn the engine, together with said
cables smoking.

If no volt drops anywhere when the key is turned then either the solenoid
isn't passing the voltage to the motor, or the motor brushes are worn.  I
don't think I have ever come across the latter, but the former is not
uncommon.  It can often be fixed by removing the copper link in the solenoid
and cleaning it and its mating contacts up.

The final possibility is a seized starter, but very unlikely, and seems to
be excluded by the reading on your inductive ammeter.

PaulH.