Re: [Mgs] Coming to life

To: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Coming to life
From: Paul Root <ptrmgb@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 06:58:29 -0500
Cc: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Thanks for all the thoughts. Everything is pointing toward the ground. I
didn't have anytime this past weekend unfortunately. And by the looks of it, I
don't have time during the week.

On Apr 29, 2013, at 2:50 AM, PaulHunt73 wrote:

> Only dropping to 11v, plus slow cranking, is an indication of bad
connections somewhere in the cranking circuit as Hans says.  Ordinarily you
can expect a drop to about 10v with a good cranking speed.

> Where did you measure the 11v?  The fault will further on towards the
starter from that, so you can use the meter at the batteries, solenoid etc. to
narrow it down.  Also measure between the engine and a body earth, which
should show zero (or very low) volts while cranking.  Voltage in that test
indicates the engine/gearbox earth is bad.