Re: [Mgs] Alternator? problems

To: "'PaulHunt73'" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>, "'Simon Matthews'" <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>, "'MGS'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Alternator? problems
From: "Hans Duinhoven" <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 19:49:47 +0200
I had the same issue some years ago.
It started with very dim battery warning light.
After that the battery was empty when the car was not ran for a week or so.
I got fed up with this and took an amp meter and measured, if there was any
current running from the batteries when the ignition was turned off.
And yes - there was some 10 milli amps running all time.
The cause?
A diode in the alternator was leaky.

As the alternator still was the original one I took it to the local car
electrics shop.
They installed a new diode pack, new brushes and brush ring, which was worn
out as well.
They also can verify, if new bearings are needed as well.
The unit is apart anyway, so replacing these won't cost much extra.

Mine never failed again and reliability always is important for such car
parts I think.

Cheers,
Hans
71 BGT