[Mgs] Dead in the water

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Dead in the water
From: Monte Jane Morris <montejane@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 15:41:28 -0500
The 79B (with points and HIF's) had to be trailered 4 miles home today:(.

I noticed when I started it to go to town that the ignition light didn't
come on, but it started fine and I figured the bulb was out. It ran great
the 8 miles to town. Shut it off and ran into the store for 10 minutes and
it wouldn't start. It cranked once or twice and then no sounds but the door
buzzer and the electric fans. All gauges were working; again NO ignition
light. I pushed it to get it started and it started to miss a little, then
after 4 miles it started missing a lot and then died completely. The door
buzzer and the electric fans still worked, but not even a click from the
starter. I checked coil, alternator, and dizzy connections as well as the
fan belt and they seem OK.

We're leaving in the morning and will be gone until November, so I won't
have time to work on it now; not even check to see if the battery is good.
We're frantically packing:)  But I thought I'd appeal to the knowledge of
the list while the symptoms are fresh in my mind. Ideas? Alternator? Would
a dead alt causing it to miss before dieing? Thanks.