Re: [Mgs] ZB Magnette Gas Tank

To: John Marcell <mg1948@verizon.net>, "mgs@autox.team.net List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] ZB Magnette Gas Tank
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 12:14:25 -0400
John,

I've attached a picture from my parts manual.  It looks like it's the
standard banjo with washers above and below, like at the
carburetors.  The pickup tube itself is not shown.  I imagine it is a
permanent internal part of the tank.  First thing I would do is make
sure I have the banjo fitting correctly arranged with washers above
and below.  Then I would rig something to be able to blow some air
down the line, into the tank.  No major pressure.  Just mouth
pressure should do it.  Open the tank filler and listen for
bubbles.  If you hear bubbles, I would think everything is fine in
the tank.  You can also try suction on the line, but I wouldn't do
that by mouth.  If it fails these tests, then you have a problem
inside the tank that I really don't know how to address, other than
by replacing the tank.  I'm thinking that problems with the pickup
inside the tank are unlikely.  I haven't looked inside a Magnette
tank, but I have cut open an MGA tank.  Tank was perforated with
rust, but the pickup looked good as new.

Of course, the other thing that would cause this symptom is being out
of fuel.  You did check that, right?

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net

At 06:52 PM 10/14/2013, John Marcell wrote:
>Need some help.
>
>Ran across a rough RR track & fuel pump stopped picking up fuel.  first
>thought it was the pump but same problem with another one.  Took the hex head
>bolt off the top thinking it must have dropped the pick up tube.  nothing in
>manual about the tank.
>
>There was nothing attached to the nut but I could see inside the top of the
>tank just below the hex nut a matting that had a hole in it.  Ran a wire down
>to the bottom of  tank.  Is this the connection that mates up to the hex nut.
>There was no gasket between the two and that looks like it would suck air &
>not allow gas to feed up to te pump.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had
a name of magnette fuel tank.jpg]