Re: [Mgs] The End of Car Culture

To: Don <don@napanet.net>, "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] The End of Car Culture
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 05:10:03 -0700 (PDT)
Fortunately, I have trained my 3 children well... They all drive stick and own
manual transmission cars. They are all into cars. My
oldest just purchased a
2013 Subaru WRX, and sold his previous car, a 1999 Subaru RS2.5 coupe, to a
guy doing a WRX swap
into it. My younger son has a 1.8T VW Jetta, and every
year his Christmas list has things like a "cold air intake", exhaust system,
etc. He has done some small custom touches to the car as well. Any my 17-year
old daughter really wanted a MINI Cooper for
her first car, so we were able to
find one, and she loves her 6-speed manual.... I've tried to teach them all
the basics of car care,
albeit with varying degrees of success ;-) But they
all appreciate cars and are 'into them'.

It is more difficult to have this as
a hobby today, as you have to know computers to actually work on them. And the
manufacturers
all downplay the actual mechanical aspects of the cars,
covering the engines with shrouds, removing dipsticks and not even
providing a
coolant temperature gauge - none of the 5 small cross-overs we test drove
before buying our Mazda had one. Even
the gas gauges are digital. But they all
have Bluetooth, back-up cameras, fancy entertainment systems, etc.

Dan D
'76 B
'65 B
Central NJ USA