Re: [Mgs] Hi Torque Starter

To: "FrankK" <frankk12@verizon.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Hi Torque Starter
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 14:37:30 +0100
There can be modern geared starters, and what are described as 'hi torque'
starters which are not geared but by use of more modern techniques still
offer an improvement over the original starter.  Geared tend to be double
the price of the standard starter, hi-torque not much more than normal

I'd expect both types to come with a solenoid, indeed with the geared type
the solenoid is usually the part that is in line with the pinion, and
actually larger than the motor, but you will have to look at the starter you
have to see.

With the geared type it is all down to the adapter plate on the front of the
motor assembly as to whether it will fit the MGB or not.  Some of these come
with a captive bolt as the motor position obstructs it, others are
orientated such that both bolts can be removed and inserted as normal.  The
most important thing to check is how the adapter plate has been attached to
the motor assembly.  I tried one several years ago and it was just attached
with a couple of self-tappers and super-glue, and came adrift in a couple of
days.

The number of teeth on the pinion is supposed to be important, the original
inertia starter on the MGB (and all MGC) had 9 teeth, MGB pre-engaged had 10
teeth.

Most solenoids only have the solenoid operate terminal, and don't have the
coil boost terminal that rubber bumper standard starters originally had.  A
few might have this extra terminal.

PaulH.