Re: [Mgs] Leaking water elbow on head of a 78 B

To: Andrew Lundgren <lundgren@byu.net>,MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Leaking water elbow on head of a 78 B
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com> mail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 01:59:59 -0500
Andrew,

On earlier engines (MGA and possibly early MGB), two of the
thermostat stud holes go through into the water jacket.  Some later
engines may have one through hole. Some of the latest production
engines may have three blind holes (no through holes).  You need to
use thread sealant (paste) on the threads with through holes to
prevent coolant seaping out around the threads.  When this happens
you may see water around the nuts on top of the cover, and the studs
may rust so bad as to prevent removal og the cover in the future.

Leaking under the cover may resut from damage caused by using a screw
driver in the gasket joint to remove the cover.  Paper or composite
gaskets are no good for this application, but cork gaskets (thicker
and softer) work well.  If the bottom of the cover is damaged you may
fix it by rubbing the cover against sand paper on a flat work top.'

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com