[Mgs] Today's adventure

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mgs] Today's adventure
From: Max Heim via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 19:02:49 -0800
Since it was (almost) my birthday, my wife asked me what I wanted to do today.
I said I wanted to drive the MG up to Aliceâ??s Restaurant in Woodside for
brunch. It was a beautiful day for a top-down drive. Had a great brunch,
chatting briefly with a gentleman I know from vintage events â?? his XK120 was
parked out front. Back in town, we stopped at the farmersâ?? market and the
bookstore. When we got home I took in the purchases then went back out to
button up the tonneauâ?¦ â??uh-oh, whatâ??s that puddle under the car?â??

Rather than crawl under the car in my â??good jeansâ?? I thought Iâ??d back it
up to to check what kind of fluid it was (I suspected fuel since I changed the
gas filter yesterday). Oops â?? no clutch pedal. The clutch slave had blown
out. It seems unbelievably fortunate that it had waited until safely parked in
the carport, instead of blowing out on the mountain roads I had just been
driving.

So I immediately started tearing it apart. The slave was a gloppy mess, and the
flex hose looked pretty shabby, also. Then I twisted the end off the hard line
trying to undo it (a 7/16 flare nut wrench apparently couldnâ??t hold the
fitting, and whatâ??s with that 15/16 nut? Who the hell has a stubby 15/16 open
end wrench? I sure donâ??t â?? my 15/16 combo wrench is over 16 inches long).

Moss is getting a lot of business from me lately, over and above my
â??projectâ?? car. Oh well...

--
Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149