Re: [Mgs] MGB steering problem

To: "Jim Ray" <jimray@hartcom.net>, "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB steering problem
From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 08:40:10 +0100

--===============4858273515101054982==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00A8_01D07369.F45E85A0"

------=_NextPart_000_00A8_01D07369.F45E85A0
        charset="utf-8"

Bump steer is different to vibration.  Bump steer is when the trackrods =
are not at the idle angle on smooth surfaces, and that angle increases =
when you hit a bump i.e. compress the suspension.  That effectively =
pulls the wheels in or give more toe in.  Bad enough if both wheels go =
up by the same amount, but if only one wheel hits a bump only that turns =
in so with the other wheel pointing as it was the car changes direction.

Vibration over a bump is something loose, or something hitting something =
it shouldn't i.e. insufficient clearance somewhere, or something worn =
i.e. too much clearance.  If the damper bearings are badly worn it could =
be them, but usually it is just the oil seals that go.  It could also be =
king pins, bearings, upper and lower trunnions, track-rod ends, anything =
in the rack, the UJ, or the column.  It could be that the problem was =
always there, but the bump-steer from lowering the suspension has made =
it noticeable.

PaulH.
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  I hope someone can help me. I have a 1980 MGB that has been lowered =
with parts sourced from Moss Motors. Since lowering the car I have an =
annoying vibration in the steering wheel whenever I hit a bump.

------=_NextPart_000_00A8_01D07369.F45E85A0
        charset="utf-8"

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3Dcontent-type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff text=3D#000000>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Bump steer is different to vibration.&nbsp; Bump =
steer is when=20
the trackrods are not at the idle angle on smooth surfaces, and that =
angle=20
increases when you hit a bump i.e. compress the suspension.&nbsp; That=20
effectively pulls the wheels in or give more toe in.&nbsp; Bad enough if =
both=20
wheels go up by the same amount, but if only one wheel hits a bump only =
that=20
turns in so with the other wheel pointing as it was the car changes=20
direction.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Vibration over a bump&nbsp;is something loose, or =
something=20
hitting something it shouldn't i.e. insufficient clearance somewhere, or =

something worn i.e. too much clearance.&nbsp; If the damper bearings are =
badly=20
worn it could be them, but usually it is just the oil seals that =
go.&nbsp; It=20
could also be king pins, bearings, upper and lower trunnions, track-rod =
ends,=20
anything in the rack, the UJ, or the column.&nbsp; It could be that the =
problem=20
was always there, but the bump-steer from lowering the suspension has =
made it=20
noticeable.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- =
</DIV><BR>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>I hope someone can help me. I have a 1980 MGB =
that has been=20
  lowered with parts sourced from Moss Motors. Since lowering the car I =
have an=20
  annoying vibration in the steering wheel whenever I hit a =
bump.</P><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <w:WordDocument>
  <w:View>Normal</w:View>
  <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
  <w:PunctuationKerning/>
  <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
  <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>
  <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent>
  <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
  <w:Compatibility>
   <w:BreakWrappedTables/>
   <w:SnapToGridInCell/>
   <w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
   <w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
   <w:DontGrowAutofit/>
  </w:Compatibility>
  <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
 </w:WordDocument>
 <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=3D"false" LatentStyleCount=3D"156">
 </w:LatentStyles>
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]>
 /* Style Definitions */
 table.MsoNormalTable