Re: [Mgs] First drive of the year/Fuel smells

To: Aaron Whiteman <awhitema@panix.com>, "mgs@autox.team.net List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] First drive of the year/Fuel smells
From: Barney Gaylord via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 10:43:25 -0600

--=====================_1974906==.ALT

Check the filler pipe rubber connector hose first.

Late model MGBs have fuel vapor recovery=20
system.  This includes an expansion tank high=20
inside the RR fender (in the boot)  with a flex=20
hose between the expansion tank and the fuel=20
tank.  This hose appeaars to connect to the boot=20
floor near the filler pipe.  If this hose leak it=20
will spill a bit of fuel into the boot, especially just after filling the=
 tank.

There is another connection to the expansion tank=20
going forward.  If this one leaks it can=20
contribute fuel fumes into the boot space.

The later model MGB also has flat top fuel=20
tank.  These tend to rust out on top like Swiss=20
cheese, then will spill fuel from the top surface=20
with the tank is filled or near full.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com

At 07:59 AM 4/16/2015 -0700, Aaron Whiteman via Mgs wrote:

>>On Apr 15, 2015, at 6:31 AM, Paul Root via Mgs=20
>>
>>I got my MG out a couple weeks ago, then it=20
>>turned cold again, so it sat in the garage. ....

>The only thing really wrong right now is that my=20
>trunk smells of gasoline. Not a lot, but it=E2=80=99s=20
>there. The tank is new (one of those Canadian=20
>made nickel-plated tanks), but the plumbing=20
>isn=E2=80=99t. I suspect the filler neck is cracked.=20
>Any other likely candidates? It=E2=80=99s not=20
>overwhelming, but it=E2=80=99s enough that if I leave=20
>a shirt in the boot overnight, it has to be=20
>aired out for a while before I can stand to wear it.

--=====================_1974906==.ALT

Check the filler pipe rubber connector hose first.<br><br>
Late model MGBs have fuel vapor recovery system.&nbsp; This includes an
expansion tank high inside the RR fender (in the boot)&nbsp; with a flex
hose between the expansion tank and the fuel tank.&nbsp; This hose
appeaars to connect to the boot floor near the filler pipe.&nbsp; If this
hose leak it will spill a bit of fuel into the boot, especially just
after filling the tank.<br><br>
There is another connection to the expansion tank going forward.&nbsp; If
this one leaks it can contribute fuel fumes into the boot space.<br><br>
The later model MGB also has flat top fuel tank.&nbsp; These tend to rust
out on top like Swiss cheese, then will spill fuel from the top surface
with the tank is filled or near full.<br><br>
Barney Gaylord<br>
1958 MGA with an attitude<br>

Paul Root via Mgs
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mgs@autox.team.net";>mgs@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
wrote:<br><br>
I got my MG out a couple weeks ago, then it turned cold again, so it sat
in the garage. ....</blockquote><br>
....<br>
The only thing really wrong right now is that my trunk smells of
gasoline. Not a lot, but it=E2=80=99s there. The tank is new (one of those
Canadian made nickel-plated tanks), but the plumbing isn=E2=80=99t. I suspec=
the filler neck is cracked. Any other likely candidates? It=E2=80=99s not
overwhelming, but it=E2=80=99s enough that if I leave a shirt in the boot
overnight, it has to be aired out for a while before I can stand to wear
it.</blockquote></body>