Re: [Mgs] question about steering rebuild

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] question about steering rebuild
From: David Ambrose via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 19:45:22 -0700
--===============4717110195006833422==
 boundary="------------010000090901050806010309"

--------------010000090901050806010309

Grab the end of the rack and try to move it up and down; then fore and
aft. If you have significant movement, you need to rebuild the rack. I
don't know about the MGA racks, but the MGB racks have a rubber damper
that has probably hardened into a hockey puck. I would check that too.
There should be shims under the top cover to set the amount of damping.

Poly bushings improve the handling, but make the ride a little harsher.
But, more importantly, they are more durable.

Cheers,
Dave Ambrose

On 5/18/2015 7:04 PM, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs wrote:

> When I hit the road in my 62 II deluxe, especially on bumpy roads, I
> get a lot of rumbling , clunking and shaking. She goes down the
> highway smoothly; no veering and only above 70 do I start to get some
> shimmying. I am planning to put in a major suspension kit and steering
> bits in on my 62 II deluxe. My rack seals are fine, I will put in new
> tie-rod ends. I am interested in any input about other parts that
> should be replaced. I am thinking specifically about any steering ball
> parts, or shims. Suspension springs front and rear, rebound buffers.
> Although there is no problem that I am aware of, I am also thinking of
> putting new bearings in. This is because I don?t know how long it?s
> been since any of these steering and suspension bits and pieces have
> been replaced and because I am going to be there anyway. Seems like
> shocks shouldn?t normally need replacing, but is there any reasonable
> R&R (I expect draining and replacing with some kind of oil, but should
> shims be put in under the internal spring?)? Pushing down on a corner
> of the car tends to bounce more than modern shocks.
>
> Any input welcome and helpful to all:<)))
>
> TIA,
>
> Clayton

--------------010000090901050806010309

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      Grab the end of the rack and try to move it up and down; then fore
      and aft. If you have significant movement, you need to rebuild the
      rack. I don't know about the MGA racks, but the MGB racks have a
      rubber damper that has probably hardened into a hockey puck. I
      would check that too. There should be shims under the top cover to
      set the amount of damping. <br>
      Poly bushings improve the handling, but make the ride a little
      harsher. But, more importantly, they are more durable. <br>
      Cheers,<br>
      Dave Ambrose<br>
      On 5/18/2015 7:04 PM, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:003601d091d8$25808ed0$7081ac70$@godblessthe.us"
      type="cite">
        charset=windows-1252">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0in;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#0563C1;
        text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#954F72;
        text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
          especially on bumpy roads, I get a lot of rumbling , clunking
          and shaking. She goes down the highway smoothly; no veering
          and only above 70 do I start to get some shimmying. I am
          planning to put in a major suspension kit and steering bits in
          on my 62 II deluxe. My rack seals are fine, I will put in new
          tie-rod ends. I am interested in any input about other parts
          that should be replaced. I am thinking specifically about any
          steering ball parts, or shims. Suspension springs front and
          rear, rebound buffers. Although there is no problem that I am
          aware of, I am also thinking of putting new bearings in. This
          is because I don?t know how long it?s been since any of these
          steering and suspension bits and pieces have been replaced and
          because I am going to be there anyway. Seems like shocks
          shouldn?t normally need replacing, but is there any reasonable
          R&amp;R (I expect draining and replacing with some kind of
          oil, but should shims be put in under the internal spring?)?
          Pushing down on a corner of the car tends to bounce more than
          modern shocks.<o:p></o:p></p>
          all:&lt;)))<o:p></o:p></p>

--------------010000090901050806010309--