[Mgs] collapsible steering repair

To: "mgs@autox.team.net List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] collapsible steering repair
From: Aaron Whiteman via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 10:30:59 -0800
This winterâ??s project has been to rebuild the front suspension in my â??75
MGB. Honestly, it was more along the lines of â??replace the bushings in the
front suspensionâ??, but I appear to have acquired some shipwright's disease as
Iâ??ve progressed along.

So far, I have completely disassembled the front subframe and suspension
components, replaced all bushings, replaced the worn swivel axles, replaced the
bent lower A-arm pivots, and re-assembled. That was when I discovered the
steering rack was no longer aligned. And *that* is when I discovered that the
collapsible steering column has partially collapsed. The shell is fine, but the
plastic that bound the inner column together is clearly broken.

Iâ??m planning on using the instructions I found at
http://www.mgexp.com/article/easy-mgb-steering-column-repair.html, but now that
I have the column out, I can hear and feel that at the very least, the upper
column bearing is shot. The Googles tell me that Mossâ??s replacement
bearingâ?¦ isnâ??t very good, or even usable. Is this still true? Are there
alternatives that do work?

--
Aaron