Re: [Mgs] No Go Mystery

To: "'Robert J. Guinness'" <guinness@stclegal.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] No Go Mystery
From: David Councill via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 08:05:52 -0700
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net

--===============0591484744855878536==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0011_01D1A5DB.C7C6CB10"

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01D1A5DB.C7C6CB10
        charset="us-ascii"

To add what a few others have mentioned, it does sound electrical. The first
thing I do is determine whether its electrical or fuel. With fuel in the
bowls, it tends to point to electrical although I also check the carb
dampers and that the pistons can move up and down (not stuck). On the
electrical side, I pull out a spark plug to check appearance and then with
it connected to the ignition lead, place it on the block and check for a
visible spark when cranking the engine.

Now to add to this, a short story on my last issue of this nature - I was
having some intermittent and very short durations of power loss when I
started driving my 64B this spring which I at first thought might be
moisture in the fuel.until it completely died on the drive home one day
(after I ignored the problem for several days). I coasted into a nearby
Wendys parking lot and determined there was no spark so I started checking
connections, particularly the condenser to points connection (insure
tightness, proper insulation with the plastic washer). Turns out the nut was
slightly loose so I tightened it. Car started right up and I drove home. But
the intermittent cutting out started to return again (maybe a few 1-2 second
incidents over several miles). So I decided to replace the points and
condenser the next weekend and that was when I discovered the real problem.
On the points terminal that the condenser attaches to, there is another
cloth insulated wire that attached to a plastic terminal on the distributer
(part #16 -
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29062 ). The
wire had started rotting away to the point that it was down to a few copper
strands (but unseen inside the cloth insulation)and it disintegrated during
the points removal. Fortunately, I had a spare distributer that I could get
a replacement part off and that solved the issue. Car has been running great
now with about 500 miles or so of error free operation.

Other suspects would be the condenser or possible the ignition coil - I have
had these fail in the past. And as far as cam flat spots - I have had that
issue too about 30 years ago. However, that did not stop the car from
running - it just idled rough and suffered a lack of power (but not a loss
of power). You would know when doing the routine valve adjustments as you
will not see much up/down movement of the valves.

David Councill

64 MGB

67 MGBGT

72 MGB