Re: [Mgs] B timing chain cover on A

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] B timing chain cover on A
From: Eric J Russell via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 16:03:14 -0400
Cc: mike@duvallvideo.com
X_cmae_category: , , a=I0wsP0/ub+0M/VQyKFHlEA==:117 a=I0wsP0/ub+0M/VQyKFHlEA==:17 a=8nJEP1OIZ-IA:10 a=zo8hvysWAAAA:8 a=8Fu6hSt-lKX_iOOJWaAA:9 a=OCgn3jM4XNsA:10 a=hSXvhAbUaY0A:10 a=hpSqStiEF4MlayOYDisI:22
> I put an early B timing chain cover on my A with new thrower .
>
> Oil now gushes in three streams out of the front of the engine.
>
> Suggestions?   Am I missing anything,  better ways to line up the cover??
> Thanks,  Mike

There isn't really oil under pressure in the timing chain area. The
tensioner gets oil under pressure which is then directed onto the chain. Oil
gets thrown around by the moving chain.

Did you do anything else in addition to the replacing the timing chain
cover? There is an oil galley plug partially hidden behind the engine front
plate. Did you remove that galley plug and forget to replace it?

See plug #9: http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/of101a.htm

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC