Re: [Mgs] [MG-MGB] Clutch problems with thermal component

To: "David Councill" <dcouncill@karamursel.org>, <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] [MG-MGB] Clutch problems with thermal component
From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 08:27:48 -0000
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net

--===============5575343653041825830==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_005E_01D23A63.27858200"

------=_NextPart_000_005E_01D23A63.27858200
        charset="iso-8859-1"

Firstly the tilt in the later clutch master - that was to clear the =
larger brake reservoir cap on North American models when they gained the =
dual circuit system, but was fitted to all MGBs.  AFAIK the tilt rotates =
the master cylinder about the centre-line of the bore, so everything =
should remain in line.  Whilst the pipe could be moved to mate up with =
the master outlet, if the position of the bore changed relative to the =
pedal that could cause problems.

1.  If you continue highway driving, after you have experienced the long =
travel and corrected it with a couple of pedal presses, does it happen =
again?  Or does it only happen once no matter how far you drive?  If it =
only ever happens once then it looks like a master seal problem.

2.  Another test, once you feel the slackness, stop the car where safe =
without using the clutch, and see if you have any free play in the =
release arm.  If there is, then something would appear to be nudging the =
piston back into the bore.  However, there should be a spring inside the =
cylinder which is constantly trying to push the piston out, and that =
should continually being taking up any free play.  The purpose of this =
is to take up any and all play from there on i.e. in the release bearing =
and friction plate, it is this that makes the MGB clutch self-adjusting =
for wear.

As another part of this test, at various temperatures, by pushing on the =
release arm move the push-rod and hence the piston all the way back into =
the cylinder, let it go, and it should ease its way out again.  Make =
sure the master reservoir has some space at the top to avoid the fluid =
overflowing.

PaulH.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  =20
  It is a bizarre problem. I was hoping someone might have had similar =
problems. Since my last email, I have made two 15 mile drives with the =
same very predictable issue. The master remains the primary suspect =
because the issue happened after replacing the master cylinder. The =
slave cylinder was an aftermarket replacement I put in about 4-5 years =
ago but the only thing I have done with it is to drain the brake fluid.

------=_NextPart_000_005E_01D23A63.27858200
        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"; xmlns:v =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m =3D=20
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml";><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE>@font-face {
        font-family: Cambria Math;
}
@font-face {
        font-family: Calibri;
}
@font-face {
        font-family: Tahoma;
}
@page WordSection1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; =
}
P.MsoNormal {
        MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman","serif"; FONT-SIZE:
=
12pt
}
LI.MsoNormal {
        MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman","serif"; FONT-SIZE:
=
12pt
}
DIV.MsoNormal {